Snake Pit

These pics were taken in Palo Duro Canyon, only a few miles from my hometown of Canyon, TX. Ahhhh, home sweet home.

image0011

Now a little closer in to see what you’re looking at…

image0021

A little closer now…

image0031

And now a little closer, just in case you’re still wondering what this is…

image0041

Bookmark and Share

21 Responses to “Snake Pit”

1. eric Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 12:51 pm

As I told Dad the other day, I think I threw up inside my mouth when I first saw this.

These really need to be dead.

2. Michael K. Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Sort of makes you wonder how many times we almost stepped into something like this and didn’t even know it was there. Oooooo….

3. Sarah Mac Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 1:28 pm

1. Did you take this picture?
    2. I squealed in the car as I looked at this on my iPhone on the way to work. It grossed me out and I probably won’t be able to sleep tonight.

4. Zach Nielsen Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Did you take those pics?

z

5. Michael K. Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I did not take the pictures. Came from a friend of my folks. Pretty gutsy to keep moving in on them, right?

6. Bill Seaver Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 1:58 pm

In a pit with a snake on a sunny day?

7. Michael K. Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Exactly. Chase the Snake.

8. Jay Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 2:32 pm

yikes – this makes me squirmy -

9. Becky Dietz Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Oh my gosh!!! That is horrible! DON’T GO OUT THERE, GUYS! I know how you guys are—you’re going to want to go out there and try to find them.

10. Sam Simmons Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Reminds me of my days as pastor in Spur, TX. I went out on a spring rattlesnake clean-up ONE time.

“Preacher, you stand over here. And watch out behind you. The snakes may come out a back door behind you.”

I’ve never been so watchful in my life.

11. Michael K. Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 5:42 pm

What?!?!? They might come out the back door behind you? Unbelievable.

12. Jeff Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Cool. Let’s go!

13. Matt Says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 8:47 pm

This has prompted quite the conversation in my office! Why do snakes go into pits? How many snakes fit into those pits? Are all those snakes rattlers? How deep are those pits?

I know, I know, I could google all this. But you have firsthand knowledge!

Do all snakes like and/or frequent snake pits?

Truly repulsive….

14. liturgicsjay Says:
    March 13th, 2009 at 1:55 am

It does make me sick to my stomach. I think I need to forward this to some of my friends here. If you have any pictures of tumbleweeds, they are interested in those, too. ha

15. liturgicsjay Says:
    March 13th, 2009 at 1:56 am

Oh, that was not Jay. That was me, Amy. hhmmmmm

16. Sarah Mac Says:
    March 13th, 2009 at 2:04 am

MK, you could just set fire to snake pits like this. We all know you have experience in all things incindiary.

17. Michael K. Says:
    March 13th, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Sarah Mac: You’re right – surprisingly, there’s lots of stuff a good fire will take care of. For anybody who might not know, I was 1/3 responsible for one of the largest grass fires in the last 2 decades in the Texas Panhandle. True. Look it up.

Matt: My understanding is that snakes frequent holes. These must have been lonely. Also, I think they frequent underground chambers where the Ark of the Covenant is kept.

Amy: I’ll work on the tumbleweed issue.

18. Dominic and Janna Padilla Says:
    March 14th, 2009 at 12:59 am

Just FYI—-I got this e-mail sometime last year and it was confirmed by park rangers at Palo Duro Canyon that it WAS NOT there that these were found. I don’t know how it originated or even the exact details that I read, but I know that it really wasn’t taken in PDC. Sorry—just wanted you to know. Janna

19. Pamela Ford Says:
    March 15th, 2009 at 12:25 am

Jaxen totally cracks me up… He saw the picture and this is what he said… and I quote…

“whoa….. it looks like Australian Diamondback Rattlesnakes!”

LOL……

20. Michael K. Says:
    March 15th, 2009 at 12:51 am

Unreal. Smart kid, that Jax.

21. Jeremy Says:
    August 22nd, 2009 at 6:44 pm

This will seem like a bit of an odd post but I actually go out and look for these critters. Don’t hunt to kill them, just enjoy finding them and getting pics. Have never searched in the Palo Duro Canyon but intend to head out there this fall. Would be very interested in finding out more about the area. Please email me back if you have a chance.