Snake Pit

These pics were taken in Palo Duro Canyon, only a few miles from my hometown of Canyon, TX. Ahhhh, home sweet home.

Now a little closer in to see what you’re looking at…

A little closer now…

And now a little closer, just in case you’re still wondering what this is…

• eric says:

As I told Dad the other day, I think I threw up inside my mouth when I first saw this.

These really need to be dead.

• Michael K. says:

Sort of makes you wonder how many times we almost stepped into something like this and didn’t even know it was there. Oooooo….

• Sarah Mac says:

1. Did you take this picture?
    2. I squealed in the car as I looked at this on my iPhone on the way to work. It grossed me out and I probably won’t be able to sleep tonight.

• Zach Nielsen says:

Did you take those pics?

• Michael K. says:

I did not take the pictures. Came from a friend of my folks. Pretty gutsy to keep moving in on them, right?

• Bill Seaver says:

In a pit with a snake on a sunny day?

• Michael K. says:

Exactly. Chase the Snake.

• Jay says:

yikes – this makes me squirmy –

• Becky Dietz says:

Oh my gosh!!! That is horrible! DON’T GO OUT THERE, GUYS! I know how you guys are—you’re going to want to go out there and try to find them.

• Sam Simmons says:

Reminds me of my days as pastor in Spur, TX. I went out on a spring rattlesnake clean-up ONE time.

“Preacher, you stand over here. And watch out behind you. The snakes may come out a back door behind you.”

I’ve never been so watchful in my life.

• Michael K. says:

What?!?!? They might come out the back door behind you? Unbelievable.

• Jeff says:

Cool. Let’s go!

• Matt says:

This has prompted quite the conversation in my office! Why do snakes go into pits? How many snakes fit into those pits? Are all those snakes rattlers? How deep are those pits?

I know, I know, I could google all this. But you have firsthand knowledge!

Do all snakes like and/or frequent snake pits?

Truly repulsive….

• liturgicsjay says:

It does make me sick to my stomach. I think I need to forward this to some of my friends here. If you have any pictures of tumbleweeds, they are interested in those, too. ha

• liturgicsjay says:

Oh, that was not Jay. That was me, Amy. hhmmmmm

• Sarah Mac says:

MK, you could just set fire to snake pits like this. We all know you have experience in all things incindiary.

• Michael K. says:

Sarah Mac: You’re right – surprisingly, there’s lots of stuff a good fire will take care of. For anybody who might not know, I was 1/3 responsible for one of the largest grass fires in the last 2 decades in the Texas Panhandle. True. Look it up.

Matt: My understanding is that snakes frequent holes. These must have been lonely. Also, I think they frequent underground chambers where the Ark of the Covenant is kept.

Amy: I’ll work on the tumbleweed issue.

• Just FYI—-I got this e-mail sometime last year and it was confirmed by park rangers at Palo Duro Canyon that it WAS NOT there that these were found. I don’t know how it originated or even the exact details that I read, but I know that it really wasn’t taken in PDC. Sorry—just wanted you to know. Janna

• Pamela Ford says:

Jaxen totally cracks me up… He saw the picture and this is what he said… and I quote…

“whoa….. it looks like Australian Diamondback Rattlesnakes!”

• Michael K. says:

Unreal. Smart kid, that Jax.

• Jeremy says:

This will seem like a bit of an odd post but I actually go out and look for these critters. Don’t hunt to kill them, just enjoy finding them and getting pics. Have never searched in the Palo Duro Canyon but intend to head out there this fall. Would be very interested in finding out more about the area. Please email me back if you have a chance.